Peeling Hard Boiled Farm Fresh Eggs

September 18, 2010

More Farm Eggs

I must say, I adore farm fresh eggs. I love the varied sizes and colors, I love the deep colored yolks, I love that it is the easiest local food product for me to procure. I love knowing the hens that laid these eggs were out in a field pecking at bugs and seeds and being truly chicken-like all day.

BUT, they are a SERIOUS pain in the keester to peel when you hard boil them! We enjoy deviled eggs quite often, but I have gone so far as to buy store eggs just because I dread trying to peel my farm ones. Something about the membrane between the shell and egg not as mature, pH levels & carbon dioxide, la la la. Whatevers…I just know it is annoying.

After trying several suggestions all with nominal results, I believe I have FINALLY found the best technique. My life can now go on, hallelujah!

How to hard boil AND peel farm fresh eggs:

• Use the oldest eggs you can, 7-10 days if possible.
  • Submerge eggs completely in a pot of cold salted water
  • Bring water to a boil, turn the heat down to medium low and set timer for 10 minutes (or adjust according to preferences, this step is not as critical)
  • Remove from heat and drain hot water. Toss the eggs back and forth in the pot to crack the shells fairly well
  • Fill the pot with cold water and let sit until eggs are cooled down
  • Peel eggs submerged in the cool water
  • When I do this, maybe one egg out of six will have a sticky spot, the rest will peel super easy. Winner winner chicken egg dinner.

Eggs_2

Peeled eggs will last in the fridge for about a week, I usually place then in an airtight container on a damp paper towel that I change every couple of days.

Random Tip: if you want more centered yolks for your deviled eggs, turn your carton of eggs on its side the day before hard boiling them

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

MamaBee September 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I’ll have to try this! Like you, I love fresh eggs but always peel off chunks when I boil them! I didn’t know you could eggs peeled for any length of time in the fridge. Thanks.

Erin September 19, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I did a bunch of research on how long they last, one thing I found is that once hard boiled the shells become permeable to bacteria http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_shell_eggs/index.asp#21. I found some references to up to 7 days for both peeled or not peeled. I suspect since the shells are less protection in general after boiling the main concern is just keeping them from drying out and exposure. Although I must say, I rarely keep boiled eggs long….I always seem to be grabbing one for a snack or quick breakfast.

Jim September 29, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I did quite a bit of experimenting trying to discover the best way to boil eggs so I could peel them easily. Peeling three stubborn eggs a day got pretty frustrating. My best success had been with salt and vinegar in the water, bring to boil and then sit in the water for 10 minutes. Still, there were some that were difficult to peel — maybe because they were too fresh? Dunno. Since half of my eggs come from an egg share (the other half from our own chickens/ducks which I *know* are too fresh).

I long suspected that the eggs that cracked or somehow allowed water under the shell peeled more easily than others. Your crack-the shell-and-rehydrate method makes a lot of sense and I’ll be trying that in the next couple of days!

Thanks!

Erin September 30, 2010 at 7:28 am

I have been making hard boiled eggs like crazy now that its not such a pain in the keester. So easy to grab for breakfast or a snack when I am short on time. We are going camping this weekend for an antelope hunt so I am making a ton to eat on the go in the early morning hours.

jeannie September 24, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I am hosting the Packer party tomorrow at my house and I have more than a dozen of my little chicken eggs to boil and put into potato salad. I will definitely try this because I know it’s a BEAST to try to peel farm fresh eggs. For me, it’s not a big deal, but for company it has to be a little bit about “presentation”. Wheeee!!

Henry November 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Here are some other instructions for how to hard boil fresh eggs so they peel easily that helped me a lot.

Cate March 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Can’t wait to try this. I, too, have been store buying organic eggs just for hard boiling. :)
    Cate recently posted..AA BoysMy Profile

Ashleigh February 11, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I am so glad I found this post! I just tried the process and added white vinegar as Jim suggested above. I have never found it easier to peel an egg. I usually lose half the egg do to it sticking to the membrane. I love my farm fresh eggs but hard boiling has been a nightmare. Nevermore!

Rich Lindecker July 19, 2013 at 7:06 am

It’s only happened to me once, so this may be a fluke; but it’s worth further testing. Tonight will be one of those tests. I put a pan of eggs to boil and noted the time they started boiling, intending to remove them in 10 minutes. But, as fate would have it, I got side tracked and didn’t get back to the eggs until they had boiled for over 20 minutes. Fearing green egg yolks, I proceeded; only to find that the eggs were perfect, and every shell came off perfectly as well. I have my own flock, so I know the eggs were fresh. I’m hoping this will be a permanent solution.

on the largest end of fresh farm eggs tap on counter to crack but not break then add to your water with small amount of oil . cook, cool to handle & peel under cold running water. July 26, 2013 at 9:01 pm

On fresh farm eggs. Tap to crack not break larg end
    of egg. Add to waTer with a little oil & cook. When
    peeling do it under cold running water.

http://ichwilowki.com March 24, 2014 at 3:35 am

You made some decent points there. I looked on the web for more information about the issue and found most
    individuals will go along with your views on this site.
    http://ichwilowki.com recently posted..http://ichwilowki.comMy Profile